The first step in aviation training is to obtain your Private Pilot License (PPL), this is the foundation to all your future flying. This licence will allow you to fly under visual flight conditions with your friends and family as passengers.
Obtaining a PPL is a pre-requisite for all students training to earn a Commercial Pilot Licence.
The course is projected to be completed within 16 weeks (4 months) – 24 weeks (6 months) for full-time students. This is only an estimate because weather, your individual progress and other factors can affect the completion time.
- You must be at least 15 years old to go solo and 17 years old before you can obtain your Private Pilot License
- Student Pilot License
- A minimum of a Class 2 medical certificate obtained from an approved aviation medical examiner. We can assist you in making the relevant appointments.
- Must pass all theoretical SACAA exams
- Meet the English Language Proficiency standards
Students are expected to pass the following subjects with at least 75% before they can qualify for the Private Pilot Licence:
- Principles of Flight
- Air Law
- Flight Planning and Performance
- Human Performance and Limitations
- Aircraft Technical and General
- Restricted Radio Telephony Certificate
The minimum number of hours required to obtain your Private Pilot License on a fixed wing aircraft are 45, which consists of:
- At least 25 hours of dual flight training with an instructor
- At least 5 hours of dual cross-country navigation flight with an instructor
- 15 hours of solo flight training, including a minimum of 5 hours solo cross-country navigation flight
- Practical flight and navigational skill test
N.B: Navigation training could be extended to compensate for controlled airspace communication.
Each flying session includes a theoretical and / or briefing component before and after each flight. The student is required to prepare beforehand.
Our Graduates Fly For
First class flight academy since 2014
Call: +27 (11) 743-3012
What’s your next course?
You can progress your flying career with us – we provide training in all the courses you need to move your career forward from PPL to ATPL phase.